Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Login

Take the time to read our Privacy Policy.

castellan Offline
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2009 7:14:18 AM(UTC)
castellan

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 27 time(s) in 25 post(s)
Now i have been talking to a dude who was going on about the old aussie gray motors. he raced speed way with them.
He said the first have casting letters on them like in the fashion of the red 202 were cast on. but it is GMH or GMV or GLV or some thing i cant remember. this casting is either to the right or left of the fuel pump side.
Most he said were just on the left but some GMH on the left rear of pump and had LPV ? on the right.
He recons that they are more of a vauxhall motor then a chev. and he could bolt a vauxhall cyl head on a holden gray and use a vauxhall crank to with some mods i think.
But he reckons the blocks with the castings both sides of the pump were a vauxhall made casting and the proof is in them there makings.
Has any one seen these markings.
peter_flane Offline
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2009 8:09:51 AM(UTC)
peter_flane

Groups: Registered, Veteran

Can we include Canadian casting blocks in this? All of the info together may be usefull!

If it is old or rare - Cut it! http://www.ehlimo.com.au/
If it is old or rare - Cut it! http://www.ehlimo.com.au/
castellan Offline
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:30:10 AM(UTC)
castellan

Yes peter.
I have never really given a hoot about the gray motor my self. in my day the red motor was the go. but if it has to do with history i am interested.
For some reason i can remember a gray motor block with a GMH casting on it i think it was in a magazine.
I know holden made 10 motors a day at the start.
This motor was descendant of a chev design. the first 3 prototypes were built entirely in Detroits experimental shop.
The first 150 blocks were cast in Canada or maybe by vauxhall in the UK.
The early ones had a hole running up through the conrod.
Old mate recons we hear in aus did not make the forged crank or rods, because we did not have the ability thing to make them hear at the time.
So maybe its possible that Holden did souse some blocks ect from vauxhall to keep up with demand ect.
The 1948 Vauxhall has a 138ci motor and a 4 cyl that is the same motor, but just with 2 cyl cut off it.
The 1948 Vauxhall Velox is a 138.89ci 2276cc bore 2.74 Stroke 3.125 motor.
Dr Terry Offline
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2009 5:32:19 AM(UTC)
Dr Terry

Groups: Moderator, Registered

Was thanked: 198 time(s) in 181 post(s)
quote:
Originally posted by castellan

Old mate recons we hear in aus did not make the forged crank or rods, because we did not have the ability thing to make them hear at the time.
So maybe its possible that Holden did souse some blocks ect from vauxhall to keep up with demand ect.

Ive spoken to many people on this subject, both inside & outside GM-H over several decades & have found nothing to support the Canadian block myth.

The GM-H foundry & engine shop in Melbourne was world class in the 1940s & forged cranks & rods were made during WWII for many different applications, before Holden car production was even mooted.

Dr Terry
If at first you don't succeed, just call it Version 1.0
GreyFC Offline
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 5:54:58 AM(UTC)
GreyFC

quote:
Originally posted by castellan
Yes peter.
I have never really given a hoot about the gray motor my self. in my day the red motor was the go. but if it has to do with history i am interested.
For some reason i can remember a gray motor block with a GMH casting on it i think it was in a magazine.
I know holden made 10 motors a day at the start.
This motor was descendant of a chev design. the first 3 prototypes were built entirely in Detroits experimental shop.
The 1948 Vauxhall has a 138ci motor and a 4 cyl that is the same motor, but just with 2 cyl cut off it.
The 1948 Vauxhall Velox is a 138.89ci 2276cc bore 2.74 Stroke 3.125 motor.

As the DR states there is no evidence of any Canadian blocks. The first 150 cast in Canada is a complete myth, although to this day cannot be proved or UN-proven!

All the block were cast at Fishermen bend, not outside GMH.

Every single Holden grey motor crank is drop forged! Go look in the workshop manuals .

The 2.2 liter Vauxhall 6 from the Cresta is the one you are after. They are actually not stronger but allow more flex and therefor less likely to break!

The heads can be usedon a grey also which takes it from 7 port ( 3 in 4 out ) to a full 12 port head. Here is one running: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0djH_ks9yA
Dr Terry Offline
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 7:11:40 AM(UTC)
Dr Terry

quote:
Originally posted by GreyFC
All the block were cast at Fishermen bend, not outside GMH.

Not quite true, this part of the basis of the myth.

The first three prototypes had US cast blocks, with a casting ID of CWO, which many thought stood for Canadian War Office, when in fact it was the initials of the Detroit based company which cast the blocks for GM (can't think of the exact name right now, I'll check).

Even the next 2 Australian-built prototypes had blocks cast at Fishermans Bend, so where the myth began is a mystery to me.

Dr Terry
gm5735 Offline
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 8:22:05 AM(UTC)
gm5735

Man

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 47 post(s)
CWO, or CWC? I thought it was Campbell Wyant Cannon.

They were a big customer for a business I used to work for. I think they were bought by Textron, but still run a foundry in the US.
castellan Offline
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 10:28:32 AM(UTC)
castellan

CWC is what it is and all blocks with this could be made by them, not GMH.
I am sure that CWC would not of just made 3 blocks that's for sure.
I think it's only the 1948 cars that have the CWC cast block ?
The 1948 cars were not sold to the public.
The blocks have seen have GMH cast as well as CWC casting on them.

CWC make billet camshafts as well.

I am not sure that the very first one of Aussie produced Falcon 144 was a Aussie made casting block also.
Sure it would of been assembled hear but was the block and all cast here at that date.

I do believe that we cast blocks and all for the XK Falcon but most likely not the first one or so totally.

As how is the time frame to get all that up and running from when Ford Australia said yes to the Falcon.

The first Aussie produced Falcon V8 the 302 Cleveland from Sep 1971 only cast it's own blocks from Dec 1975 as all the V8 blocks were imported before then.
Dr Terry Offline
#9 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 4:53:08 PM(UTC)
Dr Terry

i think that's where the confusion began. The CWC looked like CWO on some of the rougher castings. I'm not sure how many blocks have CWC on them. Could it be that the first few months (or even years) Australian production used these US casting mould masters.

I believe that the early Falcon 6-cyl motors were fully imported up until around XM or XP.

Dr Terry
castellan Offline
#10 Posted : Wednesday, March 25, 2015 9:16:38 PM(UTC)
castellan

Only the XM-P 200 were imported.
detective Offline
#11 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 4:49:24 AM(UTC)
detective

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
...I'd like to suggest there are facts we know to be certain...

....the first ten prototype GMH blocks were produced by Campbell, Wyant and Canon for use in the five prototype vehicles as envisaged by GM for the testing of their "New Australian Car"...these engines had CWC letters cast into the RH side of the block, and rightly so, as they were also experimental engines for that firm too...if they ended up being a dud GM would just have said..."thanks but no thanks"...

...that not being the case, and when GM decided the powerplant will be all good, is when they literally paid CWC for their work and along the way purchased the rights to manufacture these engines which by this stage could now just have the GMH logo....knowing that the costs invoiced to GMH by the parent company would be handsomely reimbursed over the life of the Holden product...all this came to fruition with the full manufacture of the all Australian engines in the middle of 1948 at Fishermans Bend and in all probability using the casting boxes and moulds purchased by GM from CWC for initial use in the newly setup foundry at Fishermans Bend till around that 38,000 engine number mark...

...the "Canadian Blocks" in all of this was never any more than a vicious rumour that had its origins placed right at the release of the first Holdens in 1948 and will quote a paragraph from a lengthy article written in a long running Australian publication called "The Pastoral Review" dated December 16 1948 with the heading "The New Australian Car ...with the important bit highlighted in capitals by me

..."I purposely spent a lot of time in the foundry, which by the way is the most modern in the southern hemisphere and which was laid down at a cost of about 340,000 pounds. I made this thorough inspection because I had heard that IMPORTED CYLINDER BLOCKS WERE BEING USED. Well I witnessed the casting of cylinder blocks, from the pouring stage to the opening of the core box, and not only did I see cylinder blocks, but almost every other casting used on the car, in fact in a short space of time i saw fifty or sixty items leave the foundry for the various "finishing" departments and followed them along to the stage where anyone would have been pleased to have had them on the home mantelpiece, mounted on a nice piece of blackwood. They were a delight to the eye that appreciates a "high finish" in metal.

...end quote

...as can be seen these rumours started with the inception and release of the first Holdens, (this article had been written a week earlier on December 8, and only a week after the introduction on November 29) so with this revelation, it has to be no surprise the rumours have been around for so long...

...i will attempt to somehow scan the whole article, but all up I'd say it is the real "smoking gun" that will hopefully squash these rumours once and for all....cheers