|January 18th, 2000
1930, and Henry goes west...
Western Australia became an integral part of the Ford Australia network in March 1930, with the official opening of a new assembly plant in the port city of Fremantle.
Parts and bodies for Model A cars and AA trucks were shipped from Corio Bay in Geelong, and assembled at the new plant.
The Fremantle operation continued for many years, eventually becoming a distribution centre for cars and trucks, as well as an assembly plant for Ford tractors. (Its now a brewery).
In later years it was used as a rectification plant to repair damage to cars sent across from Victoria by train.
Such minor repairs are occasionally necessary even today after a trans-Nullarbor train journey, but back then the routine rectification often meant filling the holes left by bullets - fired by outback shooters who took potshots at the passing trains!
For a great range of car
parts at great prices,